RC14001 is a technical standard that combines ISO 14001 with the Responsible Care Management System (RCMS) requirements to achieve higher standards of performance and create greater value. The American Chemistry Council (ACC) has created the RC14001 standard for organizations, wants to attain ISO 14001 certification while at the same time meeting the organization's Responsible Care Management System or (RCMS) requirements. For this certification, the company must be member for chemical association.
Responsible Care Management System (RCMS) is an integrated health, safety, security. and environmental management system based on the principles of Responsible Care. The Policy is to -Plan-Do-Check-Act continual improvement cycle.
RC 14001 is a Chemical Responsible Care Management System that broadens the scope of the ISO 14001 Standard beyond the traditional Environmental Management System to include health and safety, security, transportation, outreach, emergency response and other Responsible Care requirements. The RC14001 Technical Standard specification tracks closely with the elements of ISO 14001.
1 .Conserve, reuse and recycle materials.
2. Give preference to procurement of supplies made from recycled material, where financially feasible.
3. Protect groundwater from contamination.
4. Establish a chemical management program.
5. Reduce need for off-site transport, disposal and treatment of hazardous waste.
6. Ensure that required training is completed and documented.
7. Obtain and comply with environmental, health, safety and security permits.
8. Maintain records to track performance.
9. Establish and implement environmental, health, safety and security program.
10. Identify and control potential environmental, health, safety and security effects of products and processes.
11. Maintain an active community relation program on environmental, health, safety and security matters.